The number of acupuncture points was established to be the same number of the days in the year. So basically there are 365 acupuncture points found in the human body. Recently the number of acupuncture points has exploded for there are extra meridians found in the body with complete mappings of body structures and functions along the points if the nose, the outer ears, on the hands, in the scalp, on the feet and at the wrists and ankles. To recognize the most common acupuncture points, here is the list:
- The Hegu is the Large Intestine Meridian. This point is found on the back side of the hand between the first finger and the thumb.
- The Lieque is the Lung Meridian. This point is located above the wrist on the inside of the arm. It is used to treat disorders of the upper body like headache, cough, asthma, neck stiffness, sore throat and wrist problems.
- The Zusanli is the Stomach Meridian and is located on the front of the leg just below the knee. It is helpful digestive problems like nausea and vomiting.
- The Sanyinjiao is the Spleen Meridian and it is located on the inner side of the leg just above the ankle. This point is valuable for treating hormonal disorders and immune disorders.
- The Fengchi is the Gallbladder Meridian and it is the point located at the base of the skull where it joins the neck and back. It is used for treating acute disorders such as influenza, common cold, and fever and neck pain. Plus, it relaxes the tension in the area of the eyes.
- The Taichong id known as the Liver Meridian and this is the point located on the top of the foot between the first and second toes. This point is used to balance the emotional energy.
- The Neiguan is the Pericardium Meridian and it is located on the inner arm just above the wrist. Similar to other meridian points, this is useful for cardiac disorders.
- The Shenmen is the heart meridian and this point is located on the outer side of the wrist. This is used to treat a variety of mental problems such as insomnia, depression and many others.
- The Wiizhong is the urinary Bladder Meridian. This point can be found at the back of the knee and is used for treating back pain.
- The Taixi is the Kidney Meridian located just behind the inner ankle. Used for several disorders in the body such as toothache and sore throat.
- The Waiguan is the Triple Burner Meridian and is considered to be a special type of organ system that spans the entire torso.
- The Houxi is the Small Intestine Meridian located on the side of the hand below the little finger.
- The Balihui is the Governing Vessel point located at the top of the head and is traditionally applied for treating a variety of mental disorders and for other problems that occur in the head.
- The Guanyuan is the Cenception Vessel and the point located a little below the navel. It is used to treat all forms of lower abdominal disorders.
Thrive Wellness Center is an acupuncture clinic in Fort Lauderdale, FL with licensed acupuncturists, physicians and therapists.
Thrive Wellness Center
1244 S Federal Hwy
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
Phone: (954) 713-6118