Acupressure helps stimulate the natural self-healing abilities of your body by applying pressure on its crucial healing centers through the use of the elbows, fingers, feet, or palms. It is an ancient Chinese healing art that’s said to have started more than 5000 years ago.
Is Acupressure Treatment Effective?
Acupressure has been proven quite effective in curing several types of health issues associated with stress. It can also enhance general health and well-being, boost blood circulation, reduce tension, and alleviate pain. Besides having the ability to resolve stress-related conditions, acupressure can also be used to enhance skin tone, detoxify the body, and renew the reproductive organs.
This therapy can prevent you from succumbing to diseases by beefing up the resistance power of your body. When your learn its various techniques and the pressure points of your body, you can perform this therapy on yourself and cure yourself of issues and ailments like emotional trauma, learning disorders, mental stress, and muscle pain among many others.
How Does Acupressure Work?
During an acupressure procedure, you will not be required to take your clothes off. You will be asked to lie on a massage table. The practitioner/therapist would then proceed to apply gentle pressure and massage the pressure points of your body. The therapy may last about an hour. If you want to attain good results, you will need to undergo multiple acupressure sessions.
The main objective of any bodywork including acupressure is to bring back the general health of a person. This is done by regulating both the negative and positive energies that flow within his body. Some argue that acupressure not only affects the energy fields but also the spirit, emotions, and mind of a person.
What Pressure Points Are Commonly Used in Acupressure?
The human body has thousands of acupuncture points. But the following points are the most commonly used in a lot of acupuncture and acupressure treatments in Fremont.
Large intestine 4 (LI 4)
This point is used to treat ailments associated with the large intestine energetic system. It is found in the thick flesh between the thumb and forefinger.
Spleen 6 (SP-6)
This point is used to treat ailments associated with the liver organ system. It is located three finger widths right above the ankle. This can be a very tender point on the lower calf muscle.
Liver 3 (LR-3)
This point is used to health issues treat diseases associated with the liver organ system. It is situated between the second toe and big toe.
Who Can Benefit from Acupressure?
While a lot of people have reported treatment of their conditions through acupressure, one has to admit despite its effectiveness in improving certain health conditions, acupressure is still not a thoroughly proven treatment. Proper and thorough clinical studies need to be done in order to validate acupressure’s eligibility as a bona fide treatment for certain illnesses.
Be that as it may, acupressure has certainly been proven to treat certain medical conditions for hundreds, if not thousands of years. It has been shown to definitely work for the following medical conditions:
1. Anxiety and Depression: In several studies done on various people, acupressure was shown to successfully enhance the mood, and relieve anxiety, depression, and fatigue in people.
2. Arthritis: Studies demonstrate that acupressure therapy performed on patients with arthritis led to the considerable reduction in the sensation of inflammation in the joints of these people. According to Western medicine, the reason behind this is, is acupressure’s ability to stimulate the release of endorphins in the body that generate anti-inflammatory effects in the joints, which lessens the pain and inflammation in people with arthritis.
3. Body Pains: Acupressure has been shown to effectively relieve headache, postsurgical trauma and pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, and lower back pain. Illnesses caused by other medical problems can also get better with the help of acupressure.
4. Cancer: Besides alleviating nausea associated with chemotherapy, many people have claimed that acupressure can also reduce pain, boost energy levels, and reduce stress and tension in cancer patients.
5. Pre and post pregnancy nausea and vomiting: Wrist acupressure therapy on the Pc 6 point has been proven to work in the prevention and relief of nausea and vomiting related to pregnancy.
6. Nausea and vomiting during or after spinal anesthesia injection or post chemotherapy
7. Motion sickness
Acupressure is a very safe treatment. However, for people suffering from chronic conditions like heart disease, arthritis, or cancer they are advised to consult with their physicians first before undergoing this therapy.